In this competitive and fast-growing world, the chances of freelance work become more viable for experts. This has enabled them to realize that the conventional work system is insufficient for achieving efficiency and effectiveness. Freelance websites have become pivotal platforms in today’s professional landscape, revolutionizing the way individuals and businesses connect for various services. These online marketplaces facilitate a dynamic and flexible work environment, allowing freelancers to offer their skills and expertise to a global audience.
Why have freelance websites become important in today’s world?
The importance of freelance websites lies in their ability to create a bridge between talented professionals and those in need of specific services. One of the key advantages is the accessibility to a diverse pool of talent, transcending geographical boundaries. Businesses can tap into a wide range of skills and competencies, finding the right match for their project requirements. In the growing world of freelancing, having a website and domain is like having a front door to your professional identity. It’s not only about having an online presence; it’s about creating a eternal image and unlocking doors to chances.
Top 14 Best Freelance Websites
- Upwork (upwork.com)
- Freelancer (freelancer.com)
- Fiverr (fiverr.com)
- Toptal (toptal.com)
- Guru (guru.com)
- PeoplePerHour (peopleperhour.com)
- 99designs (99designs.com)
- SimplyHired (simplyhired.com)
- ServiceScape (servicescape.com)
- TaskRabbit (taskrabbit.com)
Upwork is one of the leading online freelance platforms that connects businesses with talented freelancers across a diverse range of industries. Launched in 2015 through the merger of Elance and oDesk, Upwork has since become a go-to marketplace for both clients seeking skilled professionals and freelancers looking for project opportunities.
Freelance Field: spanning writing, design, programming, marketing
- Writing, design, programming, marketing, and more.
- Access to diverse perspectives and skill sets worldwide.
- Short-term projects, ongoing contracts, and various billing models.
- The platform can be highly competitive, impacting freelancers’ rates.
- Upwork charges fees for both clients and freelancers.
- Disagreements between clients and freelancers can occur.
Upwork’s dynamic and user-friendly platform has positioned itself as a leading marketplace, connecting freelancers with clients globally. While it offers numerous advantages, users should also be mindful of the potential challenges associated with service fees, competition, and communication restrictions.
To kickstart your journey on Upwork, begin by signing up as a freelancer and meticulously crafting a compelling profile that showcases your skills, experience, and professional portfolio. Choose your preferred hourly rate or project fee, complete skill tests to validate your expertise, and verify your identity. When browsing jobs, apply strategically by submitting persuasive proposals that clearly articulate your suitability for each project.
Starting with smaller projects allows you to build a positive reputation, gain client reviews, and enhance your profile. Consistent and high-quality work, coupled with professional communication, will pave the way for long-term success on Upwork. Upwork remains a powerful tool for those seeking freelance opportunities or talent.
Freelancer.com, established in 2009, has emerged as a prominent online marketplace connecting freelancers and clients across a multitude of industries. Renowned for its user-friendly interface and diverse range of available projects, the platform has become a go-to hub for those seeking freelance opportunities or services.
Freelance Field: Vast array of skills and expertise, including graphic design, writing, programming, marketing, and more
- Unique bidding system allowing freelancers to propose terms.
- Ensures secure transactions through an escrow system
- Enables clients to launch contests for creative projects.
- Due to its popularity, competition among freelancers is intense.
- Varying project qualities may require careful vetting.
- Fees on both the client and freelancer sides impact the overall project cost.
Signing up on Freelancer.com is straightforward. Users need to provide basic information, create a profile, and choose a membership level (Free, Intro, Plus, or Business). Freelancers should complete their profiles with a detailed portfolio showcasing their skills and experience.
The platform’s low fees, such as a flat 3% or $3 for fixed-price projects, contribute to its appeal among freelancers and clients alike. This transparent and cost-effective approach allows users to manage their budgets efficiently.
Launched in 2010, Fiverr.com has revolutionized the freelance industry by offering a platform where freelancers, known as “sellers,” can provide a wide array of services, or “gigs,” to clients worldwide. Fiverr has since evolved, allowing sellers to offer additional services at different price points and establishing itself as a go-to marketplace for creative and professional services.
Freelance Field: Graphic design, writing, programming, marketing, and creative talents
- Fiverr offers a wide array of creative and professional services across numerous categories.
- The Fiverr Pro service showcases top-tier freelancers
- Sellers can offer tiered packages
- Low Entry Point
- Service Quality Variability
- Fiverr charges service fees on both buyers and sellers
Fiverr’s innovative approach, marked by its $5 starting point for services, has democratized the freelancing landscape, making it accessible to a diverse community of freelancers and clients around the globe. This unique pricing model, coupled with a vast array of service categories, has created an environment where sellers, known for their “gigs,” showcase their skills in graphic design, writing, programming, and an eclectic mix of specialities. Buyers, in turn, can easily navigate this virtual marketplace to find tailored solutions for their specific needs.
As Fiverr continues to evolve, introducing features like Fiverr Pro for premium services, it stands as a dynamic hub fostering collaboration and creativity in the ever-expanding gig economy. Whether you’re a freelancer offering your skills or a client in search of distinctive services, Fiverr.com remains at the forefront of redefining freelance collaboration.
Toptal.com stands as a premium platform in the freelance industry, distinguished by its commitment to providing top-tier talent for clients seeking elite software developers, designers, and finance experts. Launched in 2010, Toptal’s mission revolves around connecting clients with a curated network of freelancers renowned for their exceptional skills and experience.
Freelance Field: software development, design, and finance
- Toptal provides access to an elite pool of top 3% freelancers in software development, design, and finance, ensuring high-quality talent.
- The platform’s rigorous screening process guarantees that clients receive freelancers with exceptional technical and communication skills.
- Toptal offers flexible engagement models, allowing clients to hire freelancers on a part-time, full-time, or hourly basis.
- Premium rates for top-tier talent
- Intensive vetting process for freelancers
- Restricted to the top 3% of freelancers
It needs to pass a step-by-step screening process to apply to Toptal as a freelancer, starting from the first step of comprehensive English evaluation and ending with a project assessment. It boasts a whopping 3% of freelancers globally. If freelancers fail to complete the screening process successfully, they will hold on to the application for a few months.
Toptal has a unique tool called TopTracker for freelancers. It helps them keep track of their working hours and create invoices easily. Freelancers can set their prices, and once the job is done, they get paid through Payoneer, Paypal, or direct local bank transfer.
Guru is an online platform founded in 1998 to provide a space for businesses and freelancers to get their jobs. Companies can seek employees to work on their projects, and freelancers can bid on them, showcasing their expertise and proposing their fees. On Guru, a wide range of skilled professionals offer services in areas such as writing, programming, design, marketing, and more.
Freelance Field: Writing, graphic design, programming, marketing, virtual assistance, web development, content creation, social media management
- Bidding system allows clients to review proposals and freelancer profiles.
- Facilitates secure transactions through its SafePay system.
- Allows free membership
- An open marketplace causes variability in the quality of the services offered by freelancers
- More chances to get fake clients
- Service fees on transactions
Guru is an online platform where people who need help with tasks, called clients, can find freelancers who offer their skills and services. The platform has a SafePay system to ensure clients and freelancers feel secure in their transactions. It’s a place where people from all over the world connect to get work done and find opportunities to use their skills.
PeoplePerHour is one of the best freelance websites that help businesses find professionals to work on their projects on an hourly or project basis. The platform puffs an extended pool of freelancers spanning various industries, including but not limited to public relations, marketing, and journalism.
Freelance Field: Branding, marketing, programming and journalism
- Flexibility in hiring freelancers either by the hour or for specific projects.
- Freelancers with expertise in fields such as public relations, marketing, and journalism.
- Offers a secure payment system with funds held in escrow until work is approved.
- Charges service fees, impacting the overall cost
- Increased competition for projects.
- Free bids are capped at $15/Month.
Starting up with the PeplePerHour is an easy task for freelancers and completely free. Freelancers can create their profiles with details about their skills, relevant experience, and the cost of their services, and a moderator from PeoplePerHour will review them.
Freelancers can browse for jobs in multiple categories once the profile has been approved. As like other freelance websites, PeoplePerHour also charges a fee from freelancers per client. If a freelancer gets $350, they will charge 20%. For fixed-price projects, freelancers submit invoices to clients after finishing the agreed-upon milestones or the whole project. Invoices include details such as the scope of work, deliverables, and the total amount due.
99 Designs is another freelance website which connects businesses with graphic designers worldwide. Clients receive custom design submissions through design contests and select a winning entry. Designers showcase their work in profiles, and clients can also collaborate directly on one-to-one projects. Transparent pricing and client feedback contribute to a dynamic community fostering creativity and collaboration.
Freelance Field: Logo designing, website designing, Graphic designing, Social media designing.
- Clients receive a variety of design concepts from different designers.
- Providing a level of trust in payment processes.
- Clients can give feedback and request revisions for design submissions.
- Designers face competition
- While strong in graphic design, the platform may not cover other freelancing categories.
- Intellectual Property Concerns
The platform covers various design categories, including logos, websites, package design, book covers, app design, clothing and merchandise, etc. Freelance designers can get more job opportunities with their level of design. Once signed up on the website, the details will be reviewed, and it determines the designer level. If the level of design is high, the visibility will be increased accordingly.
99designs charges an introduction fee of 100 USD when working with a new client and a platform fee ranging from 5 to 15%. Freelancers on 99designs typically receive their payments via PayPal or Payoneer within three business days. Additionally, individuals with higher profile levels may experience faster payment processing.
SimplyHired is another freelancing website that mainly offers a platform to post jobs; here, companies can post various job opportunities freely.
The interface is straightforward to use and search the job category, and it also brings up all of the job posts from all over the internet into one platform.
Freelance Field: resume building, marketing, consulting
- Provides a straightforward and user-friendly interface for job seekers.
- Job listings from various sources offer a wide range of opportunities.
- Provides helpful guides and various job tools
- Limited application process
- Chance of spam from other websites
- It doesn’t facilitate direct interaction with employers
SimplyHired also provides a platform for preparing excellent resumes, cover letters, and other helpful info for employees to assist in everyone’s freelancing journey. For those who need to redraft their resumes, they offer a free online resume builder. SimplyHired also offers more freelance opportunities, mainly in the finance and marketing fields. Freelancers can search for a specific job with keywords, and to get more job offers, they need to fill out other details like city, state or ZIP code.
With a user-friendly interface and location-based search options, it aims to simplify the job-seeking experience for individuals across various industries. People can search for jobs without creating a profile but just by signing up to Simplyhired.com.
ServiceScape is an online job portal which provides numerous job opportunities for freelancers. ServiceScape is a medium that links clients with freelance experts in editing, translation, graphical design, and academic writing.
Freelance Field: Writing Services, Editing and Proofreading, Translation Services, Graphic Design, Academic Editing, Resume Writing
- Providing a platform for collaboration for clients and freelancers
- Allows custom pricing structure
- Communication between clients and freelancers is effective
- The commission percentage is very high
- It specializes in certain professional services like editing, writing, etc.
- Changes in platform policies or features may impact users.
ServiceScape differs from other freelance websites because some services also involve hiring processes. Freelancers on ServiceScape don’t bid for projects; instead, they await direct work offers from clients. The platform facilitates easy communication and connection between freelancers and employers, allowing messages and conference calls to be scheduled.
Income allocation arises monthly through numerous channels, including PayPal and Gusto. Freelancers have the flexibility to set customized pricing systems for projects, whether on an hourly or project-based basis. However, ServiceScape must impose a 50% commission fee on each completed job.
TaskRabbit is an online marketplace that connects people looking for various services with skilled individuals who can help complete tasks ranging from household chores to office errands. The platform covers various task categories, including cleaning, moving, furniture assembly, handyman services, delivery, and more.
Freelance Field: cleaning, moving, personal assistance, delivering
- Connect with skilled individuals in your local area for quick task completion.
- Schedule tasks at your convenience
- Custom hourly rates
- Task completion depends on the availability of TaskRabbits in your local area
- Limited Specialization
- Some users may face challenges in effective communication
To start, create an account, choose your area and category, and set your hourly rate. TaskRabbit reviews and checks backgrounds for every application. After approval, freelancers pay a $25 registration fee and can begin finding jobs through the mobile app.
Freelancers invoice clients for completed tasks; payment goes directly to their registered bank account. TaskRabbit only charges service fees to clients, ensuring freelancers receive their full earnings.
Dribbble stands out as a top platform where creative individuals come together, connecting and engaging with one another. Designers and artists leverage the site to craft portfolios and showcase their brands effectively. Dribbble acts as a portfolio display, helping designers build their online presence by showcasing their best design pieces.
Freelance Field: Photography, illustration, designing, animation
- Engage and connect with a vibrant community of fellow designers.
- Find inspiration and stay updated on the latest design trends.
- Build and promote personal or brand identity through design projects.
- High competition due to the platform’s popularity in the design community.
- No Transactional Features
- Dribbble is not primarily a job-focused platform, limiting direct job listings.
Designers use Dribbble to showcase their creative work, including illustrations, UI/UX designs, and graphics. Individual design uploads are called “shots,” presenting bite-sized views of a designer’s work.
There are two methods of getting hired through the Dribble. The first one is that freelancers can create work portfolios, increasing the chances of getting hired. The only thing you need to do for this is just sign up on Dribble and post the designs created.
The second option is to access the job portal provided by Dribble. There are various job opportunities related to design, but this feature is only allowed to premium users.
Dribbble’s premium version offers a monthly subscription ranging from $5 to $15. The Pro version enables users to enhance their profiles by uploading videos and multi-shot images.
LinkedIn is a professional networking platform widely used for career development, business connections, and industry networking. The platform serves as a job search engine, allowing users to discover job opportunities and receive personalized job recommendations.
Businesses can create company pages to showcase their brand, post updates, and connect with clients and employees.
Freelance Field: Job Listings, Company Research, Content Sharing, copywriting
- Professional Networking
- Businesses can create pages for brand visibility and client engagement.
- Access a vast job market and receive personalized job recommendations.
- Users may receive unsolicited connection requests or messages, contributing to potential spam
- and high competition for job applications, making it challenging to stand out.
- Users need to manage privacy settings to control information visibility.
LinkedIn is a social networking platform for professionals, which enables the chance to interact with each other. Professionals can simply join by signing up with the relevant details. Adding additional information like experiences, academic records, professional maps, etc., will expose your profile.
LinkedIn is one of the best job search options for freelancers to get their desired freelance job, and related keywords are used to sort the latest job postings. LinkedIn stands out as one of the premier job sites because it consistently provides what job seekers seek.
DesignHill connects businesses with talented designers and artists, providing a marketplace for high-quality designs. It covers a wide range of design needs, from logos to websites and brochures. Clients can launch design contests by specifying their requirements, and multiple designers submit their work. The client then selects the design they prefer. Clients can hire freelance graphic designers from Designhill directly based on their portfolios and expertise.
Freelance Filed: website designing, graphic designing, branding
- Create custom logos using the platform’s user-friendly logo-maker tool
- Access a wide range of creative design options for various needs
- Connect with skilled designers and artists for high-quality work
- The quality of designs may vary, as it depends on individual designers.
- Except for designers, it’s not a good option
- Clients need to consider budget constraints carefully
DesignHill allows freelancers to make their own stores and sell it worldwide with the tools of profit calculators and business card makers.
To get started with DesignHill, a freelancer only needs to sign up on this website.
In DesignHill, the clients are only charged as service fees, while the freelancers can get free of service. Users can explore and purchase designs for various products, including apparel, merchandise, and marketing materials, with DesignHill.
Flexjobs is another freelance jobs website that provides job opportunities from many categories, from education training to journalism. As the name suggests, Flexjobs lists flexible jobs for users, like remote, part-time, and full-time jobs.
Freelance Field: Writing, graphic designing, education and training, marketing
- Find jobs that allow you to work from home or have flexible schedules.
- Always exercise caution and avoid sharing sensitive information.
- Offers trial subscriptions, allowing users to explore the platform’s features before committing to a longer-term subscription
- Access to premium job listings requires a subscription fee.
- Popular remote positions may have high competition.
- Some features and job listings may only be accessible through a paid subscription.
FlexJobs makes sure that all the jobs on its website are real. It checks and screens every job to filter out scams and fake companies. Unlike some other job websites, FlexJobs doesn’t have any ads on its pages.
Anyone who wants to find freelance jobs on FlexJobs must get a subscription.
There are four plans, and they start from $6.95 per week. With any subscription, we can access as many job listings as we wish, get a personal work portfolio, receive career advice, and take skills tests for free. It allows you to pay for the subscriptions using a prepaid card or PayPal.
Things to note while selecting a freelance website?
We carefully examined various options to select the top freelance websites, considering the number of available jobs and user-friendly features. We also took into account the experiences and opinions shared by people who use these websites. By evaluating these aspects, we identified the platforms that stand out as the most helpful and reliable for freelancers.